When it comes to choosing the right front door for your home, you have to consider a lot of major factors. After all, your home’s front door is the first impression people have of your house. A great front door will make people think positively of your home, plus boost its curb appeal and let you charge a higher asking price if you ever sell it.
On the other hand, a poorly fitted or the old front door can lower the value of your house and even lead to practical downsides, like a constant draft and a higher energy bill. Today, let’s break down how you can choose the right front door for your home.
First, consider the size of the door you’ll need. Most Kansas City homes have 32-inch to 36-inch wide entry doors, although some have extra-wide entry doors that measure 42 inches. Regardless, any replacement front door will need to fit into your existing door socket.
If you need help measuring your front door space accurately, you can always contact skilled contractors from Fairway Exteriors. One of our experts can come out to your home and make sure we get the dimensions down perfectly so any replacement door fits snugly upon installation.
How to Choose the Right Front Door: Pick the Right Material
Next, consider the different materials you can choose for your new Kansas City home front door. There are lots of materials to pick from, including:
- Fiberglass is affordable and durable for most Kansas City homeowners. Fiberglass is great for withstanding damage from the elements and lasts for years to come. They’re also great for insulating your home thanks to their foam cores
- Wood offers natural beauty and an excellent texture. However, wood front doors are more expensive and are very sensitive to moisture and sun damage, so they frequently have to be examined and maintained all year
- Steel, which is strong and resistant to warp or cracking damage. However, steel doors can dent by minor impacts, and they aren’t always the most energy-efficient during winter weather
Any of these materials can work, but you should speak to door replacement specialists at Fairway Exteriors if you’re on the fence and don’t know which material is right for your house.
Then there is style. The style of your front door can impact the broader style of your home. Ideally, you should choose a front door that fits architecturally with the rest of your house. Once you do this, you can add accessories or stylistic elements, including:
- An arched frame for extra elegance
- A series of paneled windows to let in more natural light
- A special handle or knocker
- And more
Door replacement contractors like Fairway Exteriors can help you choose the perfect door style elements for your needs.
Of course, a new front door is an important investment. Therefore, you should consider a door’s cost heavily before signing on the dotted line. A more expensive door up front may save you money in the long run, for example, if it is more energy-efficient and is meant to last longer than a cheaper but less durable door.
Contact Fairway Exteriors to Know How to Choose the Right Front Door for Your Home
No matter what you have in mind for a new front door, Fairway Exteriors can help. As Kansas City’s number one exterior remodeling professionals, we can help with any front door installation or repair project for your house.
Thanks to our partnership with important brands like ProVia Doors, we have lots of great front doors for your house. Contact us today to make an appointment or for more information on choosing the right front door for your home.